Scholarship Application & Information
Veterans United Home Loans is thrilled to announce a scholarship for Students of Color!
Here at Veterans United, we are committed to live out our values every day. Through the Flourish Initiative Scholarship, a 501(c)(3), sponsored by Veterans United Home Loans, we create opportunities through relationships and resources. We are excited to support students ages 18 and older with unmet financial needs, in their journey toward success within their program/school, intended career path, and community.
Questions? Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Our 2021 Scholarship Recipients
- Fall 2021 applicants must be enrolled in a program that starts in Spring 2022 to be eligible
- Member of an underrepresented racial/ethnic marginalized community
- Pursuing one of the following:
- Degree or certificate from a college/university
- Technical/Trade School Program
- Certification/Licensing Program
- Graduate/Post-Graduate Certificate
- U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or resident alien expecting citizenship by the date of the award
- Applicants must be pursuing education in the state of Missouri or a previous Veterans United Immersion intern
- Preference will be given to:
- First-generation students
- Non-traditional students (delayed enrollment into postsecondary education; attends college part-time; works full time; is financially independent for financial aid purposes; has dependents other than a spouse; is a single parent; or does not have a high school diploma.)
- Students who identify as low-income and have unmet financial need
- Immediate family members of a Flourish Initiative Board Member are ineligible to apply.
- The Fall 2021 Application will open September 17th.
- The application is open September 17th – October 15th. You must complete the online application and upload all required documents. Application close Friday, October 15th at 5:00 p.m. CST.
- All applicants will be notified by Monday, November 12th. Those that move forward will be scheduled for an interview.
- Interviews will be held November 15th-December 3rd.
- All interviewed candidates will be notified about the scholarship decision by mid-December.
Documents for Application
- Proof of enrollment for currently enrolled students or proof of acceptance for students starting a program in Spring 2022 is required
- Recommenders Information:
- Please have two professional references (i.e. teacher, professor, employee supervisor, club/organization leader) complete a recommendation form on your behalf.
- Recommenders’ contact information is needed in order to receive the recommendation form. Links to the forms will not be sent until the scholarship application has been submitted.
- Recommendations forms must be submitted by Tuesday, October 19th at 5:00 p.m. CST.
- Reference will have an option to attach a letter of recommendation to their form.
- Unofficial college transcript is required for students who have completed at least 1 semester at a university or college.
- High school transcript is required for recently graduated high school students who have not completed 1 semester at a university or college
- The transcript can be waived for students attending a certification/licensing program or trade/technical program.
- FAFSA – Student Aid Report (SAR)
We will review each student individually and develop a scholarship award on a case-by-case basis. Scholarship amounts will vary between $1,000-$10,000. The scholarship will be paid over the course of two semesters (i.e. one payment in the Spring and one payment in the Fall). The scholarship will be paid directly to the school and will cover tuition expenses. If a student has less than two semesters left, or their program does not fall within a semester schedule, adjustments to the disbursement schedule will be determined by the scholarship staff.
Some scholarships will be eligible for flexible spending for a portion of the awarded scholarship amount. We will use the MOST 529 qualified expenses as guidelines for reviewing flexible spending requests.
- Sign media release and enrollment release form
- Provide school or program’s financial aid/bursar/cashier’s office for the scholarship to be applied directly to tuition or program cost
- Attend monthly meetings or mentor meetings surrounding career informational topics
- Respond to scholarship staff communication in a timely manner
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA or equivalent satisfactory status in programs without GPA
- This scholarship cannot be used to pay off student loans
- This scholarship cannot be used to pay a prior student balance
- This scholarship will open once a year, and applications are only accepted within that time frame. However, if your program/institution does not follow a semester date, please reach out to our office